Purchasing your dream home is arguably one of the biggest financial investments in life. The last thing an aspiring homeowner in Ghana needs is dodgy real estate agents looking to pull a fast one during the house hunting journey!
Between forged documents, shady sales tactics, fee inflation and property history manipulation, uneven agent quality unfortunately persists marketwide to date unless selected by reputed brokerages. Carefully arming yourself to proactively spot signs of potentially dodgy realtors can help safeguard your acquisition process.
Follow this inside guide from property experts on red flags signalling shady agent behavior along with smart precautions guaranteeing an ethical, seamless home buying experience in Ghana. With growing demand in regions like Greater Accra, Kumasi and Takoradi especially among first-timers and diaspora buyers, home shopper awareness becomes essential during these interactions.
Top Signs of Unscrupulous Real Estate Agents
While many genuine hardworking realty professionals certainly exist, a few opportunists risk jeopardising clients’ biggest lifetime investments if not double checked. Warning indicators of agents with questionable conduct include:
- Pushing Clients to Particular Properties Only: Ethical agents showcase a diverse range aligned to client tastes without pressuring specific houses. Shackling buyers to narrow options hints at special seller arrangements.
- Refusing Client Requests for Paperwork: Authentic agents readily share documents like title deeds, previous chain sales records, tax certificates, etc rather than create access barriers.
- Not Disclosing Known Property Condition Issues: Oversights or even flat out denial around known defects with the property point towards masking facts for a sale.
- Pressuring Clients on Purchase Decisions: Rushed timelines, pushy sales behavior and dismissal of due diligence steps pressure buyers away from rational consideration.
- Lack of License Credentials or Verifiable Track Records: Uncertified agents without company affiliations or client backgrounds spark legitimacy concerns given training and code of conduct requirements by bodies like the Ghana Real Estate Developers Association (GREDA) for registered brokers.
Safety Precautions When Evaluating Property Agents
The most prudent way of identifying credible agents committed to client interests entails:
- Ask Friends/Family for Referrals:
Word-of-mouth references validate agents with longstanding community ties and satisfied home shoppers on record.
- Check Credentials & Certifications:
Review industry accreditation status, years of documented experience, testimonials and coaching qualifications to assess seriousness.
- Interview Multiple Options:
Vet a few shortlisted agents via thorough discussion of needs before partnerships to judge responsiveness across housing priorities not just salesmanship polish.
- Inspect Contracts Thoroughly Before Signing:
Look for termination clauses, scope of services offered and liability statements in authorized agent agreements shielding you legally later.
Buying a home marks a life changing moment. And agents that appreciate their fiduciary roles guide clients with total transparency making the journey easier. Stay alert but rest easy knowing genuine realty advisors ready to find your Ghanaian dream home await!
Why hustle with agents if you can directly deal with home developers? If you are hunting for homes and don’t want to waste your resources on dodgy agents, talk to us at Lakeside Estate. We are CIMG Real Estate Company For The Years 2019, 2021 and 2022 and the GREDA Real Estate Company for the Year 2023. Hundreds of customers trust us to provide them with quality, affordable and eco-friendly homes.
Make your dream house a reality with us today. Call 233204775043 to learn more about our available homes.